The Space Between My Peers: November 2005

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

TV or Not TV?

We have two children still at home, both in their teens, who have lived without a TV in the home for over 8 years. While neither of them is perfect, they both defy today's stereotypes about teens. They are not rebellious, rarely unpleasant, and for the most part, they agree with their parents about the important issues of life.

So, we wonder, heads spinning, how did we manage that? At first glance, it may seem that homeschooling is what makes our family different from others. Could be. But recently, as I was thinking about the electronic influences on today's children, I began to wonder whether being without a TV was just as beneficial. So I asked. "Why do you think you are so pleasant and easy to be parent of?" Obviously this is not a question we can know the answer to in full, and there is clearly a spiritual component, but today our best thoughts are: 40% homeschooling, 60% TV (that is not TV). My best advice? Many hours of conversation.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Rule Number 1

Forget what the so-called fashion experts tell you, the focal point for every outfit should be your FACE (not any other body part or a piece of jewelry). It's a matter of human dignity.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

A Salty Fashion Tip

I just did something scary. I edited my template. And it worked. Then I went to try to figure out how to do something else technical and that didn't work. Oh well. One can't know how to do everything.

Here's something I do know, though, a tip borrowed from the guys. If you are going to buy a blazer this season, and I think you should unless your personality prohibits blazers, your best color option is -- drumroll please -- your haircolor. Picture it. Your hair and your jacket working together to form a frame to flatter your face, making it the focal point of your outfit.

That's salty!

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Between Turkey and Dressing

I am the tidy-plate type. Yes, I really do think it's both possible and desirable to leave space between each little pile of food. And, if you do, you never run the risk of having "too much on your plate".

Somehow, this past year I have found myself at times with too much on my metaphorical plate. After the beginning of a busy ministry year, I am just now finding my pace (I think). Thankfully, there is now plenty of food in our refrigerator, I am not behind in paying any bills, everyone is healthy, and if you stopped by right now I would let you in. Actually I would always let you in, but sometimes I might be more embarassed about it.

So, now that I am finding a comfortable pace, why do I want to take on a blog as well? (By the noise of all the typing he heard from the other room, my husband thought I should have a novel written by now. Sadly no, just many revisions of the same three paragraphs.) Basically, I guess this is just an outlet for my overabundance of words. By decidedly unscientific methods, I have estimated that 75% of the stuff I spout off about is dressing (that is "what not to wear") and the other 25% is turkey (social issues, etc.). Don't expect family photos.

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible
Include this form on your page