Closing the Space
- Sit by someone you don't know, when attending an event where you know most people.
- When you run into someone you recognize, but don't necessarily remember, introduce yourself. Repeat as necessary.
- Address people by name. Smile.
- When selecting a seat, why leave a space between? If you like the person, just go in and sit next to them as if you were their friend.
- Drive together, like to meetings and parties.
- Schedule regular times with your friends, even if they aren't frequent. Make it a tradition, like coffee on the first day of school or lunch the third Friday of every month.
- When you have enough friends, continue to watch for those who may not.
One more suggestion: if you and I are acquainted, try leaving a comment here. It's almost like real conversation.