The Space Between My Peers: Freaky Blogday

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Freaky Blogday

This is really weird! Are you seeing double like I am? My post, A Universal Skirt Silhouette, somehow split when I published the comments. Neither commenter so far would wear the skirt. Curious why?

Wendy said:

"I'm definitely a V. But I'm also way short. Just shy of 5'. So my best bet is a pencil skirt. (I do have one with box pleats all around the bottom. But to look reasonable they begin at the knee. Very retro 50's inspired.)

I can also wear a short a-line. But if it's long, a straight skirt is much better for me."


I figured there would be some issues I had not considered and height is definitely one of them. Being (almost) 5'6", it's never been much of a consideration for me. But one of the things I love about blogging (and reader participation) is seeing things from other people's viewpoints.

Sarita Raye said:

I would have probably worn something like that when I was in college. If I lived somewhere colder, snowier, and less urban than Chicago, and had a job with a somewhat-dressed-up-but-not-too-strict dress code, I would totally wear a skirt like that one. I would choose a more closely fitted sweater, though. And a colorful scarf and imitation shearling boots, flat or low-heeled of course. And it would be pretty fabulous. But for some reason I really can't see myself wearing that outfit in Chicago; I just wouldn't feel like myself in it. Interesting how our environments can shape our clothing personalities...

Definitely a Great Northwest look, Eddie Bauer is high style around here. If I bought that skirt, I'd wear it to church. With suede boots and a fitted sweater.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I love it, and would wear it "as is" colors and all!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Did you notice that it's stretch velveteen? I actually think it would have good longevity, and always be appropriate for the holidays. :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger The Frugal Shrink said...

I love the shape of it, but my problem is with the length. I am tall (5'8.5"), so that isn't the problem. It's just that I've found that the absolute best length of skirt for making my legs look thin is right below the knee. I am what is typically thought of as an hourglass, and I have to be careful to wear properly fitting clothes or else I look overweight! Love these posts, by the way.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the skirt very much and it got me thinking (indecisively) about gored panels. I'm a figure 8 - I like how you take account of dimensionality! - and very short and blocky. This skirt is too much commotion at knee level for me, though I wish I could wear it.
As soon as I saw it I began thinking about a true scaling down.

One thing - I'm not sure anymore how I feel about textures. I would wear this out to a casual evening but not stretch velveteen in the daytime. Not any more, anyway. I've just gotten rid of all of my flannel suit jackets, skirts, trousers. I realized I never wanted to wear them because I like smooth fabrics. I like fabrics with substance and crispness, too. This goes against the whole "there should be movement in your clothing" philosophy.

I get a lot out of reading your thinking about clothes and life. I'd love it if you'd write more about texture. Even though I'm rounded, I have a crisp personality and feel awkward in soft, draped clothes - like I'm selling a bill of goods.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rebecca, Blogger was extraordinarily weird last evening.

5'6". Oooh. Betcha you can wear most things right off the rack, too ...

7:27 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Wendy, you are right. I don't always think about it, but I know I'm blessed to wear an easy-to-fit size. I rarely, if ever, even consider alterations, although they are a regular necessity for many people.

Have a great weekend!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page