The Space Between My Peers: About Mervyn's

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Friday, February 03, 2006

About Mervyn's

I had a scare last night! After sharing about a recent fabulous score, four cashmere sweaters for exactly $19.53, I was told that Mervyn's was going out of business. Permanently. Since I had just decided to make them my first-stop department store, I was not a happy camper. Happily, it appears the report was wrong.

In a press release last September, Mervyn's announced that as part of a new business strategy they would be closing 25% of their stores, including one each in Southern California, Oregon, and Utah. Read more at RetailWire. There is no reason to believe that the deal I happened on was anything other than an incredibly great seasonal clearance sale.

Clearly, it will not continue to be business as usual at Mervyn's. But for now I can go back to being delighted with my recent serendipity. And planning my strategy for selling the two sweaters I won't be adding to my wardrobe. Coming soon, to an Ebay outlet near you ...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found Mervyn's to be a bit inconsistent: Some seasons they have exactly and everything I want and need. Sometimes I can't find a thing. Or maybe that's just me??

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a deal [rhymes with steal!!] Being in Utah, I was interested in finding out which store was closing. Although, since we're situated just about half way between the two that I go to anyway, it won't impact me too much. Maybe they'll close the downtown one:-)
Have you sold on eBay yet?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have also found Mervyn's to be inconsistent, but I almost always find something in my size on the clearance rack. Many other stores don't even carry my size. Of course now that they are changing leadership, who knows what it's going to be like?

About eBay, I have never done anything. My friend who has done alot, though, is starting to accept consignments, so I will probably be going through her.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I read that right? FOUR cashmere sweaters?! For $20!???

Can you give more details? I know it's OBE, but we can learn from the experience.

Gotta check out a Mervyn's sometime!

-- Slughorn

9:03 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

It was just a random thing. I was in there one day and saw that the next day they were having this big sale, opening early and all that.

If I had known what kind of a sale it was going to be, I would have tried harder to be there when they opened.

I did sell the two on ebay for more than $20 each, but sadly my friend who handled the transaction for me lost her mind and I never got paid.

Oh well. Clearly I'm more concerned about my friend than I am about the money.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page