The Space Between My Peers: What to Wear: Nightlife?

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

What to Wear: Nightlife?

A casual evening out with a bunch of ladies. Why is that such a challenge to my idiom?

First, do I even own a shirt that's not crew-neck? With my sporty/menswear accent, crewneck T's are my staple.

Second, if I wear heels with jeans will I look like a poseur? If I don't, will I look like a "mom in tennis shoes"? (I promise, I won't be wearing tennis shoes.)

Last, but not least, if I wear a blazer, how do I keep from seeming all business? I want to seem approachable. And fun.

What say you wonderful people?

4 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Hm... I'm no expert on these matters, but why not wear heels with jeans? Everything goes with jeans! Perfect for a night out.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey, wait a minute, if the designers aren't the experts, who is? =)

Thanks, Danielle, I think I will. Probably the only thing that would keep me from wearing heels would be if I were going with someone much shorter than me, and even then I am not sure ... it's pretty important to me to be appropriately dressed.

If it is a warm spring day, I will probably wear my pink 3/4 sleeve blazer, with white vertical stripes. Otherwise, maybe my $1.77 sweater, it has a more dramatic neckline than I usually wear and a few scattered sequins.

Anyway, I definitely want to wear something I can forget about myself in and just have fun with the other ladies.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I am envisioning a soft wrap sweater (not too low of a neckline, but lower than you usually wear, maybe over a trim scoop neck t-shirt or tank if needed for modesty) in one of your perfect colors. Dark jeans, and a heeled boot. That long fitted coat of yours, if it is cold out.

If this is the same group you referred to earlier (young/new moms) half of them will be overdressed because they never go out anymore and the other half will be underdressed because they never go out anymore.

A little make up and jewelry complete the outfit and show that you cared enough to 'dress' for them.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

You crack me up, Beth! I hope you have an outfit like that, because it would be perfect for you! And you are so right on about the moms!

Wrap sweater ~ it will never be. And I would never sacrifice having the focus on my face by dropping my neckline. Although it would be nice to have a trim scoop-neck t-shirt.

Heeled boot ~ I'm glad you said that. I know you love boots, but I wasn't sure if it was too late in the year for them. I was planning on wearing boots, just because they are the most versatile of my heeled options.

A little makeup ~ I always wear a little makeup, although I still don't like lipstick (I use Burt's Bees instead). If I have to appear in public and I don't have time to put on makeup (I give myself a break on my early morning prayer meeting days), I throw on my sunglasses and some lipgloss.

Jewelry ~ You may be right about showing that I care enough to dress for them, but the suggestion still makes me cranky. Earrings, watch, and anniversary ring will have to be enough.

I feel the embellishment post coming on!

BTW, I love you, even though our personal idioms are clearly different.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page