The Space Between My Peers: Me, In Mom Jeans

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Me, In Mom Jeans

Since we don't have a TV, and I never get around to putting together photo albums, every now and again we can be found sitting in front of the computer, looking at pictures. Imagine my dismay when this one popped up.

"Aaah! Is that what I look like?"

(They kindly assured me it is not.)

Obviously these are my painting pants. And this picture was taken a few years ago. But it clearly demonstrates why fitting rooms are equipped with three-way mirrors.

I promise to be more careful.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

OK, but why are ugly, ill-fitting jeans called "mom jeans"?

2:18 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

That is a very good question, just going to prove how much I do not know.

Perhaps I need to banish the term to the vocabulary recycling bin.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they are called "mom jeans" because so many Moms just don't care what they look like. They probably rationalize that life is busy with children, house, maybe a job outside of the home, and they figure that they are married, have children, and they don't have to dress 'nice' anymore. At least that is what it looks like when I am out and about: sloppy hair, no make-up, ill-fitting clothes, and, yes, the "mom jeans", often with an old t-shirt. I hope I am not being overly critical here, but we should like nice at least for ourselves (makes a difference in our moods), and certainly for our husbands!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I even "proof-read" my post, and still missed the error! The last sentence is supposed to have "look" in the place of "like". I do apologize for that! Menopause seems to have removed part of my brain and I can't seem to find it!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Kathy, if it's any consolation, I missed it too. And I think you bring up a good point.

Contributing to the misconception that moms don't need to look nice is also the idea that they should sacrifice everything for their kids (which I alluded to in the previous post).

Sacrificing their husbands, by neglecting their own appearance, does nobody any good -- especially not the kids!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Joanne Casale Viskup said...

My theory on the "Mom jeans"...Back in the 80's the high-waisted, belted, narrow at the bottom jeans were in style. You know, the kind that make you look like your bum starts at your waist and ends at your thighs? (oh-wait, mine does...) Anyway, the girls who wore them then are the women who wear them now. And they are Moms.

But I agree that Moms neglect themselves. I think we are cut from the same cloth Rebecca. I love your blog!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page