The Space Between My Peers: Watching Fashion Trends Is Frugal

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Watching Fashion Trends Is Frugal

Integral to my frugal wardrobe strategy is awareness of the ebb and flow of fashion cycles. Not the little here-today, gone-tomorrow fads (like ponchos), although I have no objection to wearing ONE when it suits the wearer.

What am I looking for? I'm looking for classic pieces that are becoming popular, such as pretty flats. And I'm looking for major silhouette movement, like the return of narrow jeans. And, last but not least, I am looking for the pieces that work within MY idiom.

How I use this information to save money:

  • Emerging looks: When a look is very fresh, it will often show up in final clearance at major stores. Buy it now, wear it for a really long time! Some items, such as a white dress shirt, are worth actually paying for at this point. (That's hard for me, but there's always my birthday.)

  • Established looks: Once a look becomes popular, it becomes more difficult to find inexpensively. Sometimes I will find it at a thrift store (usually off-season), but more often it's Old Navy or wait. Typically I choose wait.

  • Saturated looks: When it's everywhere, the handwriting is on the wall. A decision needs to be made: is this something I want in my permanent wardrobe? If not, and it's still in good condition, I sell it on consignment, usually for more than I paid.

While I don't always have to have all the latest styles, I do want to dress like myself. Myself really doesn't like to look OUT of style.

Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I am so glad that you are watching the trends, because then I don't have to! So... if we (you and I) were to make two shopping trips a year, when might those be scheduled? I am envisioning a weekend together in that big city near me, with you flying in (my dime) and us hitting the shops. I could even bring a suitcase full of the clothes I plan to keep (you could tell me which ones I should, what do you call it? biff)

If you take out the cost of hotel and food, how much $$ would I need to allocate? Spring and Fall? Coincide with any particular sale? It would be like "What Not to Wear" with 1/10th the budget.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

What fun!

Of course, since I don't live too much in the world of actually going to a real store and spending real money, the question needs much more thought than just an off-the-cuff answer.

But, believe me, the wheels are turning!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page