The Space Between My Peers: Frugal Mom Goes to Work

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Frugal Mom Goes to Work

It's just a catchy title, not a lifestyle recommendation.

Once upon a time, I was a mom who wore suits to work everyday. I have mentioned once before where I would be looking for suits now (Target), if I were shopping for new. Locating affordable vintage suits is the subject of this fine post at Shangri Law .

Now, I want to tell you that The New Women's Dress for Success by John T Molloy (1996) is not what you may think it is. Instead, it's an informative read. The first sentence:



"The jacket has become the hallmark of the American businesswoman..."

In addition to recommending a "jacket outfit" as an alternative to a suit, it contains fascinating chapters on different style types and the psychology of color.

How does this relate to Frugal Mom? Well, certainly a "jacket outfit" affords more flexibility for economy than strictly dressing in suits does. When thrifting or clearance-shopping, make the jacket section your first stop; the dollar amount to be saved here is most significant. I personally own a half-dozen or so jackets, none of which cost me more than $15. Beware of looking dated, however, when shopping thrift. Best to take along an honest friend whose taste runs to the contemporary.

One final thought: if you are a frugal working mom, you may be interested in the Mom Makes Calculator at Crown Financial Ministries. I quit when I got tired of eating beans and potatoes, while my day-care provider bought a new house and a new car.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

I totally agree that you need to avoid looking dated, however-dressing in thrift purchases is a great way to pick up some unusal accent pieces very inexpensively. I have a lot of great things (a beige open work crochet sweater comes to mind) that are too "trendy" for me to have bought at full price, but well worth it as a wardrobe addition for $3.

Also, I tend to buy solids in basic colors when paying full price. If I had to fill out a work wardrobe I would be buying most of my fun and patterned tops thrift too.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Great comments, Jenn. Thanks for stopping by. :)

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page