The Space Between My Peers: The Long and The Short of It

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Long and The Short of It

Since I got no comments on yesterday's post, I'm wondering whether the whole length balancing thing is boring you. Shall I give some more examples?

  • This previous post describes length balancing in trouser outfits.

  • Here I explained basic length balancing and how it works with a knee-length dress (or anything that is one color or pattern from neck to knee).

  • Yesterday's post, concerning high waisted skirts, illustrated how to split up the neck to knee expanse (2 to 3). Inverting the proportions also works. For current summer-wear, try an extra-long t-shirt or tank worn with bermudas.

  • With cropped pants or mid-calf skirts use 2 1/2 to 4. Go back and look at the picture of me in capris. If you split up the pants into 4 vertical segments, you could fit approximately 2 1/2 of those into the length of the top. Is that why ladies who wear their t-shirts tucked into the (high) waist of their pants tend to like their capris shorter?

Is this helpful at all? Maybe I'd feel better if you asked some questions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never really thought about balancing the bottom and the top in this way. I always thought that you try to detract attention from a "bad spot" on the body(let's say, short legs) by making the leg line appear longer with a shorter top. I think I heard this on "What Not To Wear." You know, I love that show because they don't always just do perfect body shapes.

I didn't know we could wear high waisted skirts. Are they back in style again? I don't want to wear them right now. I'm enjoying the mid-rise which gives my belly more space rather than sucking it into those high waisted things we used to wear (I was skinnier then).
~Jody

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't despair over the lack of comments! i'm finding this all completely fascinating, and i'm learning a lot. what i'm not learning, i'm glad i can come back to later. what a service, for someone to kindly educate the rest of us on all this, and without making me feel like a moron for not already knowing it. Which? hello, i knew NONE of this gold goodness you're sharing!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Jody ~ I love that show, too. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch it often (we don't have a TV).

March Vogue had a whole lay-out on high-waisted skirts. I actually have one very like Agathe's. It's coming, but no pressure. Wear what you like.

HolyMama! ~ Do you have the spiritual gift of encouragement? (It's okay, you don't have to answer.) Thanks for the nice comment.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page