The Space Between My Peers: Crazy Budgeting Mama

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Friday, April 07, 2006

Crazy Budgeting Mama

This post comes in celebration of being included in the Crazy Hip Blog Mamas , as well as The Budget Fashionista's Project Blog. Being included is big with me. I did mention that I'm not as outgoing as some may think, didn't I?

How we have handled the clothing budget with our girls (disclaimer: we didn't try this concept with our boys)

When they turned ten, they each began to receive a clothing allowance monthly. The amount equals $1 American, per year of age. Knowing that they receive generous gifts from grandparents, we felt this was adequate, while providing incentive for them to work. They are responsible for their own wardrobes. Of course, I took them shopping (and if you've been around here at all you probably know where) and I helped out with things like soccer shoes and the occasional I-just-feel-like-it gift.

This shift of power has made for some challenges, and also entertainment. Like watching the fitting room sales tactics of the guy who's just sure that if he can convince "little girl" that she has to have these pants, she'll whine enough that mom will buy them. Little did he know, he was selling the wrong person. You see, the pants would have cost her six months worth of clothing allowance, and she's too sensible for that. I, on the other hand, would have been susceptible (they would have been less than two months of clothing allowance for me), but he sold to me as kind of an afterthought. He doesn't work there anymore.

Parents these days are divided in their opinions about allowance; what we have done has actually trained our girls by giving them some responsibility. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Would it work with boys? I have no idea.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

My mom did this with me when I entered high school. I loved it, since I just went and bought everything t the thrift shop (which she did not love.) I still buy all my kids clothes at the thrft shop and fully intend to hand over the reins to my girls when they are of age.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We haven't been back to school shopping yet, because she's still wearing spring and summer stuff, but I think we may go Saturday. Thanks for this reminder! She's a third grader, but even last spring, I told her that we were going to spend less than $120 and she helped keep a running tally, and it helped her make great choices.

I think the monthly allowance would be great.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page