The Space Between My Peers: Designer Ella's Slam Book

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Designer Ella's Slam Book

For those of you who have not yet been to the Carnivale, this is what the lovely and gracious Designer Ella said about me:


Rebecca, from The Space Between My Peers , confesses that she is not with the "in-crowd" of couture. But doesn't that make us love her more?

If this were Junior High, and I was signing her Slam Book (does anybody remember those?) I would totally write SWEET!

4 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

what's a slam book?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

In Junior High, we would have a spiral notebook, inside of which we had written the name of a person we knew at the top of each page. The "big thing" was signing people's Slam Books, that is, you would write your opinions of the person named on the page, but not like a list, more like graffiti. Girls, of course, always wrote things like "sweet, cute".

Beth, does that explain it? Don't know why I've been reminded of that lately.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yeah, that's the nice way of describing it. I think Slam Books must have come up recently in the media or conversations because I have thought of them recently too.

I don't know whether Slam refers to talking bad about someone, or (the way I remember it) the act of slamming the book shut whenever the person you are writing about comes near (or a teacher).

I don't remember them as the positive experience you do, but more mixed. Girls can be so cruel.

My book club is reading Queen Bees and Wannabees -- have you read it yet?

10:46 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Yes, I read it, probably when it first came out, I got it off the new book shelf at the library. But I didn't read it thoroughly or anything, my usual scanning.

I have thought about it often, though, in light of my girls' experiences and in light of DISC, since that came up multiple times last year.

I guess I always thought "slam" referred to saying something bad about someone. I'm sure I must have, but I wouldn't like to think about it now.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page