The Space Between My Peers: Summer Thrifting

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Summer Thrifting

Being the first Monday that the schools are out, today marks the official beginning of the summer thrifting season. Have I mentioned that I find my best thrift store bargains in the off-seasons? I've just returned from $1 Monday at Value Village, where I spent a grand total $20 American (plus tax) for 3 pairs of jeans, a sateen blazer, a cashmere sweater, 2 summer tops (one with tags still on), a silk skirt, and a leather coat. In an hour and a half.

Anybody want to take me up on this previous offer?

Summer thrifting bargains:

  • Sweaters. It's like a t-shirt, only warmer. Light pink, crew-neck cashmere pullover, in need of a little de-fuzzing; yes it fit and was only $1. (Picture me doing the most dignified of happy dances!)

  • Jeans. After sorting through LOTS of good, basic jeans for only $1 apiece, I kept coming back to a $10 pair. We've talked about jeans here before, and I have challenged myself to be more critical about finding a flattering fit. I hope this is it. At $10, I'll still easily achieve my cost per wear.

  • Coats. Although not suitable for a winter coat here, the brown leather blazer with cream top-stitching will make a great rain coat for one of my daughters. It was also only $1.


Now, I know there is a more frugal summer option than thrifting: the yard-sale. Personally I don't partake much, but I'd love to hear YOUR success stories. I might just get inspired.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think yard sales would be a better bargain for clothes, but for me its not. The cost of gas plus my impulsive can't pass a good deal, I never find clothes. I like to yard sale but don't count on it for my clothes although for babies its a great source for clothes.
Stacy

4:23 PM  
Blogger moongjee said...

Those sales sound pretty good. $10 jeans?! I am jealous. Oh and thank you for stopping by!

9:28 AM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

It is more likely I will find clothes at a thrift store than a yard sale, so that's my preference.

OTOH I don't have the time to yard sale. If I did, I'm sure I'd find the bargains that way.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

I just got a dress for 1.50 at a local thrift store here. I wore it to a wedding and got compliments all day long!

Yard sales are hit or miss for me, simply because I am very tall and have a hard time finding a size that will fit me. My best find ever at a yard sale was several Christopher and Banks items, in my size, with TAGS ON, for 50 cents each.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page