What's For Dinner?
It's Frugal Friday! Various thoughts and themes have been chasing around in my head since I woke up (over here on the West Coast, after a very late night), but when I visited our host blog it all became crystal clear (stealth pun. extra points for those!)
Okay, here's a short list of frugal alternatives to eating out:
- Invite friends over. Serve them a lovely meal.
- Invite friends over. Have a theme potluck.
- Invite friends over. Have them bring whatever they were going to make for dinner and you have potluck with whatever you were going to have. (We did this once for Easter and it was a blast!)
- Invite friends over. Serve them a simple meal.
Illustration: a frugal dinner party. In one instance when we had guests, choosing frugality as the theme took most of the hostess pressure off me. I made chicken and rice, avocado slices, cooked veggies, and I don't remember what else. Then I was free to enjoy my guests.
If you don't have the energy to have friends over:
- Just serve something simple. Like fried egg sandwiches.
- A family-sized portion of salmon, plus salad, costs the same as a Papa Murphy's pizza, cooks in the same amount of time, and is much healthier for you.
One more thing: I agree with Crystal that it's important to take your husband's preferences into account. And I've found that most men don't like breakfast for dinner.
Is anybody wondering what this has to do with dressing? Nothing. This post is pure turkey.