The Space Between My Peers: Fashion Lab: Better Late Than Never

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Fashion Lab: Better Late Than Never

I really should get some modeling lessons or something, rather than continually subjecting you wonderful people to these hack photos.

Typically I choose not to focus on the type of advice that picks some "less-than" body part ("I hate my thighs!") and uses "fool-the-eye" techniques to compensate. It's all too confusing. In most cases, learning and employing the basics (line, shape, proportion, scale, and, of course, personal idiom and color) will create a much more integrated, simple, and aesthetically pleasing look.

But an outfit I threw together recently caused me to think about a principle I had previously run across:

To camouflage or draw attention away, surround the feature with something larger or more eye-catching. In these pictures, the "feature" is my thighs and the "something larger or more eye-catching" is the line of the t-shirt hem(s) and the belt buckle.


In which of these pictures do I look most normal to you?

And another question: How would this principle be used if the "feature" being camouflaged was a slight tummy bulge?

On one thing I'm sure we can all agree: Use tunic-length tops with caution! (They never worked for me in the '80s either.)

12 Comments:

Blogger Shane White said...

The last one, as it raises the focus from the line across your thighs to your waist.

=s=

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the one on the top right looks the best.

Tia ;)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Blooming Lily said...

Definitely the last one, right on the bottom. And, what thighs???

1:49 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Lower right, definitely. The cap sleeves don't give enough balance on top, make you look too triangle. The top right is OK, but kind of sloppy. The bottom right is clean, balanced, and shows your cute shape.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

One thing, I'm afraid, from a scientific standpoint this lab was a flop. As soon as I saw the pictures next to each other in blogger I could see what I should have done; I should have worn the long-sleeve shirt under the cap-sleeve in those photos.

Clearly the arms are a distraction. That isn't even the point.

Of course, what else is abundantly clear from this lab is the whole "body image" thing. When I see myself, I see nothing but thighs.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be controversial but I think your body looks smashing in bottom left photo! Sinuous, gently curving. Of course, the look itself is a bit odd when you achieve it that way, but the curving away/carving out looks great to me.

My shape has similarities to yours, as I've said. I do very well with tunic tops if they are shaped through the waist or fall in such a way that the midriff is apparent. What I look for is slits up the sides and a hem that is just short enough that you can see the air space between my legs as high as possible.

It seems like a low tunic hem that covers the crotch area would lead people to believe that your legs are yet longer than they can see, but in practice I don't think it does.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Truth be told, the only one I think looks really bad is the top right. I'm not too surprised there are differences of opinion when asked to pick a single favorite.

I think the trouble for me with tunics has always been that the crotch-length ones are never long enough for me; my rise is really long. A longer one would fix that, if it were fitted enough through the waist. Having the crotch covered I think would lead the imagination to expect it to be where the "easy-to-dress" body would have it, that is, half way down the body. On me that would give a couple of inches to the legs.

More interesting thoughts. Thanks for casting a vote!

10:30 PM  
Blogger FR said...

Hi, you visited my blog a few months back (I've been on a hiatus) and I was making some changes and saw your comment so I thought I'd stop by. I am starting another blog that's all about shopping on a budget and I would love it if you would stop by and give me any suggestions once it is up and running (within a week, I hope).

Now, regarding this post, I like the first one the best.

To hide a slight tummy bulge, the idea would be use a dark shirt underneath the light to medium shade shirt.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It's quite the confidence-builder to have the opinions spread like they are.:)

I'm looking forward to your new blog! Please let me know when it is up, so I can check it out.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but are you suffering from some disorder? Something that makes you think you cant wear ANYTHING and look great. You look exactly the same in every picture - and they all look wonderful.

Shrug.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Maybe ...

thanks, I think.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I was picking the top right as the one that looked best because I don't like shirts to be tucked in. The picture where you can see the belt but the shirt is untucked is my second favorite, but would be better with the long-sleeved shirt.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page