The Space Between My Peers: Frugal Holiday Finery

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Frugal Holiday Finery

Bloglines subscribers: you will want to pop over and view the picture. There's something new and different about it. He hee.

Thinking it's somewhat of an insult to the readers who have been here since the beginning, sometimes I'm afraid to post an idea I've previously blogged. A foolish notion, most visitors come via Google. Thanks to this post at Copyblogger, I'm encouraged to repeat the things which bear repeating.

Like these three ways to dress up for Christmas for almost nothing:

  • Borrow: Last year I wore a long silver skirt with this top, one I picked up for $1 (new with the tags still on) at a thrift store. It has since gone to several upscale events with other ladies. Surely your friends would rather lend you their little-used formal and cocktail clothing than to have it collecting dust.

  • Thrift: If I must buy a dress, for any occasion, I never pay "real money" for it. Just today, I saw literally dozens of really great dresses, each only $1 American, at my favorite thrift store. Obviously, not every area offers those kind of deals; just consider ebay your online thrift store.

  • Separates: Many special occasion separates are downright frumpy! Some classics that I have mixed and matched with success include: metallic t-shirts such as the one pictured, or ones with sequins; velvet jeans, skirts, or blazers; fuller skirts, such as the red silk pictured or the silver one mentioned earlier; a black straight or pencil skirt, or wide-legged pants; silk or sateen blouses and blazers. A black tee-shirt and black skirt, under dimly lit conditions, easily fills in for a black dress.

One final thought: Set against an all-black outfit, even your pre-schoolers dress-up jewelry can look very festive. Why not try it?

(More on this topic at Frugal Mom Has a Social Life.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I have worked out a deal with a girlfriend where we trade clothes for all of our special occasions. Usually she has the shoes, purse, and shawl and I supply a knock-out dress that I have found thrifting. Pooling our resources has saved me from spending tons of money for these one night occasions!

6:43 PM  
Blogger The Frugal Shrink said...

You look darling, Rebecca! I love the belt. And your hair!

Speaking of belts, isn't it funny how it is at a perfect spot on you, but on me I have to belt a few inches higher. I suppose it's because I'm one of those pesky X shapes that has to show her waist or risk looking like a blob. Hee! ;)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Amy, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Tessa, thanks.

I admit I'm still somewhat mystified by all the variables that go into belt placement. Being a Type 8 I always expect to need the belt at the waist, but in this outfit I'm actually wearing it just above the hip-bone. Actually it ends up being two head-lengths below my chin (as measured with the little cursor-hand thing).

I suppose it's possible that my figure is changing as I age. If it isn't one thing, it's another. :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

OK, am I completely confused or is the blonde new?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Jenn, that's hilarious (to me, anyway)! No, that is my natural hair color. And it's not blonde. lol

Actually, I found out recently that a close friend of mine here in town has always thought I colored my hair like this. But, of course, I'm too lazy and too frugal to keep it up this well. No roots!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

Found my way here through the Festival of Frugality--I like your blog very much and will post a link as well.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Hey, in my defense, you usually cut your head off in your photos, and since I'm brunette, I figure everyone else is tooo. . . ..

4:54 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Don't feel bad, Jenn, in my mind I'm brunette (still) too. :D

8:44 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Love this post! You have some great ideas, have a Merry Christmas.

Oh, btw, I linked to you too.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks Meg! Welcome to the blog!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page