The Space Between My Peers: Return of the Salty Jacket

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Return of the Salty Jacket

If you've been with me since the beginning, you will remember that in my early post A Salty Fashion Tip I prescribed wearing a blazer the color of your hair. Then, in Complementary Colors, I offered the option of using the complement of your haircolor instead. Now, I would like to further develop the theme.

First, a clarification or two:

  • Read the word "blazer" to mean any jacket or sweater.
  • Most of the color combinations I suggest can be inverted, the jacket color becoming the shirt color.

Using a personal coloring-based wardrobe plan, you would expect to be able to wear a jacket in any color present in your own coloring. You would be right. But here's the trick to wearing your skin color next to your skin:

  • Separate the garment from your face with a swath of contrasting fabric.
  • Choose an accent color from Beauty is in the Eye ... or use your lipstick color.

Would you like an illustration? How about a tan-skinned person in a camel jacket? Now picture that person wearing a crisp white shirt with the collar outside the jacket, separating the jacket from the face. A look both comfortable and chic.

And salty!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought that camel with a tomato red scarf, shirt, whatever ... between camel and face would look especially striking; especially if you could wear the same red lipstick (and had olive coloring - which I don't)-- but, anyway... (How's that for run-on sentence?)
What about the above with black pants and boots? Other suggestions? I still have the camel yardage.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Black pants and boots, yes.

You, because you have light skin and hair, would want a shorter jacket length, waist or high hip.

The olive-skinned person, with black hair could wear a full-length jacket. (Because of length-balancing issues -- Cuisennaire Rods and the Golden Mean.)

Other color possibilities: charcoal gray and navy.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate the clarification that a sweater could substitute for the blazer.

-- Slughorn

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page