The Space Between My Peers: Book Review: How to Be a Budget Fashionista (Part 3)

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Book Review: How to Be a Budget Fashionista (Part 3)

In this post, I'm just reviewing the cover.



Style Bard asked, in the comments to this previous post, for pictures of do's and don'ts. I'm not certain how to get people to pose for 'don't' pictures, but I can show you some 'do's' right here on the cover of How to Be a Budget Fashionista, by Kathryn Finney. The topic is length balancing.

  • On the left: The suit represents a monochromatic look. It could be knee-length, or longer; what I want to point out is that hair and shoes are the same color. The blouse serves as accent by repeating the lip color.

  • Center: Another variation of How to Wear a High Waisted Skirt, this time using only colors present in the personal coloring. Note how the collar of the blouse is flipped up, otherwise it would not be the approximately 2/3 of the length of the skirt that it should be. Because the belt adds to the black (this is all math, isn't it?), it makes sense for the shoes to blend with the legs.

  • Right: In this final example, with dropped waist, adding the shoes to the skirt is necessary to achieve balance. Matching shoes and belt -- always a good idea, not always necessary -- makes it work.


Have you ever wondered if I actually use this stuff? The answer is: sometimes. Many days I just get dressed, but some days I wonder if what I am trying to do works. Then I just whip out the steel tape I carry at all times and take some measurements. And I can leave the house in confidence.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such an interesting approach to things - I have this book and I've never even thought about it that way!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thank you, Agathe. Sometimes I consider it my own special brand of insanity. haha

You always make me smile! :)

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page