The Space Between My Peers: Super-hot and Yet Modest

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Super-hot and Yet Modest

Yes, this is me. On a 100° day. The light colored sleeveless tee-shirt is double-layer, though.

Hey, I bet there are readers here now who have yet to be offended by my early post, What Not to Wear to Church. In it I mention that many nice men do not like to see any part of a woman's "undergarment".

Maybe you have a hard time believing that the sight of a bra-strap is a big deal. I did too. For the past 5 summers, I have volunteered in a capacity where the dress code specifies no visible undergarment (or lack thereof). For the first 4 summers, I quizzed my husband, "Is it really a big deal?"

His answer, roughly paraphrased, was that a man sees a part of the bra and it causes him to think of the whole bra. The idea of the whole bra leads to the thought of you in ... do I need to continue?

Which leads me to my current favorite extreme hot weather casual look: The bikini top as bra (and necklace, too!). The advantages:

  • No visible bra straps
  • Dries quickly
  • Inexpensive, especially this time of year. Where can you buy a bra for $5?
  • Provides a splash of contrasting color near the face.

Now, I realize this will not work for every figure type. Nor for every situation. But for slim teens who want to be modest, this season's long board shorts paired with a long tank and contrasting "tie straps" (which we sew in place) equals a look that shouldn't cause anyone to think of anything but good clean fun.

It's our summer uniform.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mom2fur said...

Well, I don't know about those extra thoughts a bra strap might lead to...but I do think it looks sloppy--and disrespectful! Your nice outfit looks cool and comfortable, but very stylish. (Sorry, but some of that 'modest' stuff out there is downright frumpy.) And I think there are certain things that shouldn't be worn in public at all...except maybe the beach. Don't even get me started on the neighbor who was washing her car in a thong bikini. Aaagggh!!!! (And trust me on this, I'm no prude. I just didn't think it was apropos considering all the children in the neighborhood!)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay rebecca, you have to ask your husband another question! if he sees your bikini strap, does he then think of the WHOLE bikini, and then you IN the whole bikini...?

and you are too cute. even headless.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thank you both for your kind comments!

M2f ~ your neighbor has succeeded (vicariously) in disgusting OUR household! I couldn't agree with you more!

HM ~ scary thought. You see, that is the whole bikini ...

1:34 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I dunno. I have seen some real people recently wearing bikini tops as bras and to me it is the same as seeing a bra. I mean, if it would not be modest to wear a bikini top without something covering it, then it's not really modest to have the bikini top *show* either. IMHO.

I don't have a big issue with bra straps showing, other than it looks sloppy. But when I saw my friend's swimsuit top showing the other day all I thought was, "are you on your way to the pool?"

5:19 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

EXACTLY the thought I want people to have.

For centuries, it's been the life of leisure look that has been desired: the ancient world revered pale skin because it indicated the person wasn't required to work out in the sun. Now, of course, everyone wants to be tan, although I keep hoping that will change.

Clearly I am not advocating this look for anything other than leisure. :)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say that the bikini top is way more comfortable on a SWEATY day. I get too hot too easy and if it's over 90 degrees outside I go for comfort. T.Milky

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I think visible bra straps are just tacky and don't care that they have become nearly fashionable. But on the modesty front, I totally agree with Beth. If bra straps are showing, men whose imaginations wander will be thinking of Victoria's Secret; if swimsuit straps are showing, they will be thinking of Baywatch.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page