The Space Between My Peers: The Simplest Color Scheme for Your Wardrobe

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Simplest Color Scheme for Your Wardrobe

From Frugal Homemaker Plus, this formula from Tightwad Gazette:

You need nine pieces. Two blazers, three tops, and four bottoms. Make sure that all these items will coordinate with each other! I generally choose basic solid colors for the blazers and pants, like black or khaki. By doing this, you create 24 possible combinations of things to wear!

What a great skeleton for me to hang my simple color ideas on!

Two blazers
1) Your hair color. Maybe you, like me, have multi-colored hair and this is enough, but if not ...
2) Your hair color's complement or your skin's complement, in a shade as dark as your hair.

Three tops
1) Choose from the color family that relates to your eyes:

  • brown eyes choose from the red family, as seen in this picture of Jennifer, who likes to wear red, orange, hot pink, and burgundy/plum.
  • blue eyes choose freely from all blues.
  • green eyes choose greens.

Be aware of saturation. Because Jennifer has strong coloring, she is not overwhelmed by the hot pink. I, on the other hand, wear the same colors, but in the tints (pastels) and shades (deep muted tones).
2) If for some reason #1 doesn't work, use black and/or white. Or a print.

Four bottoms
There's a reason the classics are.

1) Black. The classic option for dressy, professional and social.
2) Khaki. Originally developed for the military because it didn't show dirt. Now the classic "casual" pant. Or skirt.
3) Denim. Works with everything. For many, jeans are their everyday attire. Remember my friend who needed 12 pairs?
4) There are other options. Previously I posted how to avoid clashing.

Shoes, belts, and bag

You really only need one color, that of your hair.

You can thank Pro-blogger for motivating me with prizes to write this post. And Jennifer for donating her picture. And whoever I shook hands with last week, causing me to be sick and at home this evening.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fashion idiot, so a simple formula like this might actually help. :) Thanks! (And I hope you feel better soon!)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Oh, thanks - simple fashion tips for us busy people ;). Our how-to is up as well if you'd like to check it out!!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll follow your tips and go for this combination soon. I hope to be moving to Australia for about a year, soon, so I'm glad I read your ideas about a capsule wardrobe.
My how to is up too, at
How to "buy" happiness
, if you'd like to read it

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page