The Space Between My Peers: Athletic Shoes: A Better Color Choice

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Athletic Shoes: A Better Color Choice

L.A. Gear - Women's Honey
L.A. Gear - Women's Honey
(Brown/Pink/Bone) Free Shipping from Shoes.Com

Yes, it's true. Mervyns is closing stores in several states (I wrote about it last February). So Saturday, on our way home from our second family Thanksgiving gathering, we stopped to check out the sales. Romantic/Trendsetter daughter and I both found athletic shoes.

And then we noticed the pattern. Hers are grey with green, mine (pictured) are brown. Both are our eye color.

Which makes perfect sense. Athletic shoes are sporty and active, they should be an accent color. Which leads me to a question I've had for years:

Who looks good in white runners?

Now I think I know the answer, test this on yourself: someone whose inseam is greater than half her body's total length. Or greater than four head-lengths.

Am I on to something?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think in many cases you may be right.

But an alternate answer may be that it also depends what you're wearing with the runners. (If the runners are for working out then it shouldn't matter, fit and support are the main issues.)

I think if you are able to stay clean wearing white jeans white runners will work on anyone, irrespective of leg length. And they can look great with regular jeans, too, provided the jeans aren't too short. Depending on the shape of the shoe, they can be cute with capris, too.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Okay, someday we're going to have to do a fashion lab on this one.

I agree with you completely that it doesn't matter for working out, and about the white jeans. But under no circumstances would I look GOOD in white runners with regular jeans, and I look TERRIBLE in capris with anything other than sandals.

If it's not the short legs, then what? (I also look bad in full shoes worn with shorts.)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yup. Fashion Lab! I think that it may have to do with either the shape of the runner, the length or width of the capris, or ... something else entirely! I'm going to give it some thought, though!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first pictured a Someone who would look good in white runners, I saw a tall blonde woman. But I didn't picture even her in other than long pants.

My second thought is anyone who is in all white, anyway.

And about the stumpy leg effect one gets with short legs and closed shoes. Last night I had on a thin cotton tshirt dress - it's an unseasonable 70 degrees here - and I hadn't changed out of the black,shortish socks I wore when I was out with a neighborhood group on a safety walk with the police. Looked in the full length mirror and rather liked the funky effect of knee lenth skirt and what might be short wrestler boots. :) Did my legs look short and plumpish? Rather. But then I had the strong thought that where is it written that there is anything wrong with that. I am short and plumpish. I am attractive in a short, plumpish way just as much as I would be attractive in a more visually elongating and slimmish way. I still wouldn't wear chunky white athletic shoes, though. I don't have tiny feet and I feel cartoonish in bulky shoes. Might wear a flat, thin aerobic style white shoe.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Great insights, Vildy! Underlying it all is the idea that we don't have to conform to an exterior standard of attractive, rather that God made many varieties of attractive.

(BTW, I like the dainty lightness of the track-style shoes like the ones pictured. Surely they must come in white too.)

We will definitely be coming back to this topic. :)

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page