The Space Between My Peers: My Coat Wardrobe

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Monday, November 27, 2006

My Coat Wardrobe


This jacket is too romantic for me but ... maybe you'd like it.

In my lifestyle segmentation pie chart, only two slices are really worth serving: leisure and casual. Living in a region with four distinct seasons requires more coats, to my practical mind, than would seem necessary. But they are.

Here's the run-down:
  • Leisure winter coat = a puffy down jacket. Currently I am using a black one, which will naturally be replaced when I happen on something in a great color (for the single dollar which I paid for this one).
  • Casual winter coat: If I could only afford one coat, it would have to be a topper-length wool. Like my aubergine one I blogged back here.
  • Leisure spring: uh, yeah. We'll have to come back to this one. I do have the suede jean jacket, but that's no good if it rains.
  • Casual spring. Back here I mentioned that I consider a leather coat a great rain coat. After trying it on again, I am keeping the leather blazer. What remains to be seen is whether it will make a suitable (read: warm enough) spring coat for me.
  • Leisure summer: a white jean jacket. What else? (I do have a windbreaker, in case I go to the beach with my parents.)
  • Casual summer: All summer long I carry a cardigan around in my purse. Comes in handy at restaurants, the grocery store, basically anywhere air-conditioned.
  • Autumn leisure: the burgundy quilted pictured here.
  • Autumn casual: This black chenille bedspread looking thing is what I've been using. Works for me.
Now I need to go look what I have besides these. Can I justify any more? Probably.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have more coats than blazers. But like you here in Ottawa we have a climate that features wildly different temperatures. The coat for waiting at the bus stop at -40 is different from the one for freezing rain, or the one for gentle snow, at least one that qualifies for dressy occasions ... and it goes on.

The jacket you've pictured is very interesting -- but also not me.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Which reminds me of what a friend of mine, originally from Canada, had told me about people up there. She said that the coat is the main fashion statement of the outfit, and whatever is under not so much.

Obviously I am still working on this one. Coats being what they are, it can take years to build a wardrobe for a northern region.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that may be true for some and not for others.

And on the -40 days all fashion takes a back seat to warmth. At least amongst the sane.

I went to Toronto by train last February. I joked with a friend that you could tell the Torontonians from the Ottawans in the station. Those from TO were wearing leather jackets. We were wearing faux fur, parkas, and bulkier gear.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page