The Space Between My Peers: A Sad Little History

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Sad Little History

Speaking of conversations, you may have noticed that the comments aren't always about the topic of the post. Like in yesterday's post, where the comments ended up being primarily about the blog girl talk (which, by the way, has no comment form, a blog characteristic I am not fond of).

As I was reading through their very thorough treatment of the subject of modesty, I came across this statement:
Now let me set your mind at ease. Adorning ourselves in "respectable apparel" doesn't mean we must restrict ourselves exclusively to cheap, out of style, unattractive clothing. Paul is not saying that gold or pearls or braiding are forbidden. In fact, you will find other places in Scripture where godly women wore fine clothing and jewelry.
The reason this post is called a A Sad Little History is because when I first became a Christian, as a young mom in my 20s, I immediately pulled out all my out of style clothing and began wearing it again! Where did I get the idea that a Christian must necessarily convey a dowdy appearance?

The good news is that God isn't like that. And I guess that's one more reason to keep on blogging. Yay!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
I think I may have confessed my dowdy days to you before. I too have struggled with what it means to be modest as a christian woman. My dh kept commenting on me becoming "homey". I wasn't quite sure what it meant. I know know what he was trying to say was that I was not taking care to look attractive for him. I still struggle with frugality and looking attractive. Our budget does not offer me the ability to have a lot in my wardrobe. Maybe you could give me some help with a couple of simple "must haves" for a modest mom of three. (that I could afford).
Stacy
(hope to soon get a blogger id :).)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

That's a good idea for a post, if I could do it without being dictatorial.

I can't wait till you have your own blog!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page