The Space Between My Peers: A Word or Two About Belts

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Friday, May 05, 2006

A Word or Two About Belts

Since I am not an embellishment person, I have a very hard time justifying spending many times more for a belt than I spent for the pants it holds up.

An incomplete list of ideas for others who won't be wearing this season's latest and greatest belts:

  • Men's leather belts, like the one I was wearing yesterday, can be significantly less expensive than women's.
  • Consider raiding your dad's wardrobe for belts he has outgrown or doesn't use. Would your husband share his belts?
  • Salvation Army, at least here, prices most or all belts $.89. Recently I bought an eelskin belt, in cordovan with bright brass buckle, and got change back from a dollar bill!
  • Belts with holes all the way around are more versatile, because they can be adjusted to more sizes.
  • For you girly types: this, from Style Bytes.

The old rule of matching shoes and belt? It works. Not strictly necessary, but a way to coordinate a simple wardrobe.

What ideas would you add?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like belts and much of the time I have to wear a belt because of that "gap in the back" of my jeans. I DO love the ribbon belt you linked to and now I have a link for you -- a scarf belt. So feminine and cute I think. Fun on a skirt too, dontchathink?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMikqFlxEe3YAT2KjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsdmIydTZhBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTAwMV83MA--/SIG=12tkhted2/EXP=1146972074/**http%3a//www.trendsettergifts.com/shop/images/belt-scarf-dragonfly-p-sm.jpg

~Jody

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,

Great minds think alike, Jody! I was thinking of a scarf belt also, simply because that is the fashion these days here in Dallas. I think they look very cute and can really add just the right thing to an outfit ON THE RIGHT PERSON (which means, not me, but Katie :-))!
I have been sewing Katie some cute summer tops and we have been thinking of making belts with some of the scraps of fabric. This morning Katie brightened up her drab Starbuck's uniform with a coral headband that we made from a scrap of fabric from a top I just made. It's that very sheer, crinkly fabric with some metallic bits in it and it really looks cute.
I just bought my first belt in years while in Germany because my britches kept falling down - not due to my smallness :0 but to the cut of jeans I started wearing - below the waist. The belt I bought is really nice but I should have bought one size smaller :-(.

Susan, who thinks embellishment can make all the difference in the world between nice and "Audrey."

PS Rebecca - you must peruse Jody's site when you have a chance. I have been on her message board since I lived in your neck of the woods. Great ladies!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This is the link for the scarf-belt. So simple, just a pretty scarf used as a belt.

This is Jody's site, which I agree with you, Susan, is definitely worth checking out, especially for those interested in homeschooling.

Thanks for sharing, ladies! :)

Beth ~ are any of the belts and embellishments ideas helpful to you in your quest to be Audrey? (I am still thinking about "Frugal Mom Classics".) xoxo

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for great ideas!

I like those belts where you can change the buckle. Then you only need one belt and you can buy new buckles when you need a change. The buckles are often rather flashy though but I guess they make all sorts of styles.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Agathe, that's a great idea, too. And I meant to tell you, I had one of those belts like your other one, the one with the big design in front (that's not a very good description), back in the '80s. I wore it to belt a shawl-collar jacket, in the same tomato red.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

The only belt that fits at the moment is my husbands ratty green fabric one that is currently holding up my 'cut too low' cords.

I think the scarves and ribbons are cute but are not really about "holding things up" but more about just embellishing. Usually when I go for a belt these days it is a matter of function, not form.

I am still mostly hiding my post partum waist, so perhaps these ideas will find a place in a few months.

xoxo

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page