The Space Between My Peers: Fall Wardrobe Planning Begins With a Budget

The Space Between My Peers

From the bottom of the fashion food chain ...

Name:
Location: The Great Northwest

I'm a home-schooling, bible-believing SAHM with an annual clothing budget of about $500 American. The Space Between My Peers reveals my secret passion: analysis of the art and science of what to wear.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Fall Wardrobe Planning Begins With a Budget

Going back to this previous post, in which I dealt with a dangling question regarding semi-annual shopping & budgeting, the further question of how to "wrap your spending plan around all the items you need" remains unanswered.

Some thoughts:




If you are going to have to have a new winter coat this year, I would definitely take that money and set it aside. The best sales and selection are available in October.


One final thought: you could just budget the same amount for each piece. That would work for me, since I buy most of my stuff thrift. But realistically, if you are shopping in a real store, with real money, that method won't work too well.

Consider that jackets are often double the cost of pants or skirts, and basic tops can be very inexpensive. If you split the money evenly between those three categories, you could potentially buy one jacket, a pant and a skirt, and maybe 5 tops.

Yes, I think I like it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

The best thing about this post - great advice aside - is that it links to many of your previous posts. I just turned one of my friends on to your blog and now she won't have to go searching through the archives to find some of your gems!

xoxo

9:41 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thank you both for your nice comments.

Today I started up a little "basics" section in my sidebar, the idea being when I really explain what I consider to be one of the basic concepts well that it will be right there.

Nominations?

10:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, I love this. And I thought I was anal about shopping habits. (Anyone need petite clothing measurements?) While I don't think the detail you get down to with your cost per wear calculation is actually necessary, it'd definitely helpful to bring it up in your mind when you're considering an impulse buy. Usually, you wind up not buying because you realize you don't really need it, or that you'll wear it like, 3 times in your life.

A lot of the cost of my clothes are due to alterations, since I'm so small. And I sometimes wonder if they're worth the cost and hassle. There's no easy way to determine how much of a psychological difference wearing a slightly baggier vs. a well fitting pair of pants makes on other people or yourself.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Amy, I've been wondering lately if I should be a little less tight-fisted when it comes to the thought of alterations. I can do what I do primarily because I have a 31" inseam, etc.

But I do understand some of what it is to need a special size because of shopping for my husband who's 6'3".

This shirt I have listed on eBay ends today and has no bids. It is REALLY nice, I just tried it on but it really is too small.

(You can teach me about measurements) shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 13 3/4".

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page